Magnesium is an essential construction material used in a wide range of applications. A growing transport sector and energy saving requirements are driving the demand for this lightweight metal and encouraging improvements in its quality.
Rheinkalk HDW, a Lhoist subsidiary in Germany, has developed anhydrous high-quality fluxes under the brand name EMGESAL® FLUX for refining and enhancing the quality of magnesium.
These are used worldwide for:
Re-melting magnesium leads to non-metallic inclusions. Only ingots and class 1 scrap can be re-melted without the use of flux. EMGESAL® FLUX collects all non-metallic inclusions from the magnesium melt and separates them from the clean metal.
Protecting molten magnesium
EMGESAL® FLUX provides additional benefits to the covering and protection of gas, including covering flux. It is recommended:
- for furnaces without continuous gas protection
- as a reserve in case of disturbances in the gas supply
- as an alternative vs. environmental unfriendly Greenhouse gases like SF6 or SO2.
Extinguishing magnesium fire
EMGESAL® FLUX is the most efficient fire extinguisher for magnesium. It forms a molten layer on top of the liquid magnesium to exclude oxygen. As a synthetic Carnalite, it complies with the ternary eutectic in MgCl2-KCl-NaCl-System. Sufficient amounts of dry salt flux should always be on hand; well-marked flux bins should be located at work stations and in machine areas where liquid magnesium is present.
Anhydrous • homogeneous • dust free
- Anhydrous EMGESAL® FLUX can be used without any hazardous environmental emissions during the magnesium melt.
- Homogeneous EMGESAL® FLUX forms a liquid flux layer protecting the molten magnesium against oxidation. Burning magnesium is avoided. Metal losses are minimized.
- Flake-formed and dust-free EMGESAL® FLUX prevents dust emissions and ensures rapid protection and safe advanced performance.