- About us
- Markets & Solutions
- People & careers
IP - Lhoist's Innovations and Patents
We place significant emphasis on the development of truly sustainable products, processes and services to meet our clients’ needs and support our organic growth.
Lhoist's Intellectual Property Department ensures the protection of the Group's intellectual property rights, while it manages almost 490 patents that have already been granted and more than 450 patents awaiting approval (examination procedures in progress). At present, almost 80 inventions have been registered.
Many of our innovations are protected by patents, the most notable of which are:
Sorbacal® Micro 4099 is a mineral-based sorbent material that removes dioxins, furans, PCB and PAH from flue gas streams. It offers similar performance levels to classical carbon-based sorbents and prevents hot spots or fires in bag house filters and residue silos. Because it is a 100% mineral material, Sorbacal® Micro 4099 is compatible with commercial fly ash valorization technologies e.g. in cement and concrete applications.
SLS45® is a ready-to-use white, stable suspension of 45% calcium hydroxide in water. A high-performance calcium-based reagent, it is designed to create an easy-to-use and highly concentrated milk of lime with low viscosity and high reactivity. This is primarily suitable for municipal and industrial waste water and sludge treatment processes..
Proviacal® RD provides 90% dust reduction compared to conventional quicklime, reducing wind-related downtime. It is well-suited for civil engineering works that must comply with particularly sensitive dust emissions standards.
Sorbacal® SP is a high-performance calcium hydroxide reagent for the removal of gaseous acid pollutants from flue gas steams using dry and semi-dry processes. From a physical point of view, Sorbacal® SP powder is characterized by both a high BET surface area > 40 m²/g (vs. 15 m²/g for a normal hydrate) and a high pore volume of 0.2 cm³/g (vs. 0.08 c m³/g for a normal hydrate). These properties make it more efficient, and therefore more cost effective, than traditional hydrates.
Sorbacal® SPS offers the excellent performance properties of Sorbacal® SP and is further optimized to remove sulfur pollutants (e.g. SO2 and SO3). It also provides improved performance when applied at high temperatures, for example by injection into hot flue gas directly after it has exited the furnace.
Lhoist products, processes and categories of products and services offered may be covered by one or more patents in the U.S. and internationally, as is indicated below. This website page is provided to satisfy the virtual patent marking provisions of various jurisdictions, in particular it is intended to serve as notice under 35 U.S.C. § 287(a). The products and processes listed below may be sold individually or as part of a combination product or process. Additional patent applications may also be pending in U.S. and internationally.
- Calco-magnesian aqueous suspension and method for the production thereof (US8206680B2)
- Handleable calco-magnesian suspension (US9511340B2)
- Composition and method for simultaneous water softening and silica removal in boiler feed water (US20190367411A1)
- Powdery lime composition, method of preparing same and use thereof (US7744678B2)
- Process for manufacturing highly porous slaked lime and product thereby obtained (US10669199B2)
- Method for producing a highly porous fine powdered slaked lime composition, and product obtained therefrom (US20190127273A1)
- Highly porous powdered slaked lime composition (US20190193049A1)
- Sorbent composition for an electrostatic precipitator (US20190022621A1)
- Sorbent composition for an electrostatic precipitator (US20200016527A1)
- Process for manufacturing a sorbent for a flue gas treatment process, sorbent and use of said sorbent in such flue gas treatment process (US20200086293A1)
- Process for treating flue gases in CDS flue gas treatment (US20200164311A1)
- Method for reducing heavy metals in flue gases (US7585353B2)
- Method and device for treating gas by injecting a powdered compound and an aqueous phase (US9579601B2)
- Device and mehod for treating flue gases (US10788207B2)
- Process for pneumatically conveying a powdery material (US10627108B2)
- Composition for the purification of flue gas (US20190015778A1)
- Composition for the purification of flue gas (US20190022578A1)
- Method for handling a slag pot or ladle and pyrometallurgical tools (US20190376746A1)
- Method for handling a slag pot or ladle and pyrometallurgical tools (US20190316844A1)
- Process for manufacturing a slag conditioning agent for steel desulfurization (WO2020127039A1)
- Binder composition for improved mortars and coatings (US9828292B2)
- System of plant or bio-sourced materials (US9845265B2)
- Method and composition for increasing the proportion of dietary ingredients that are resistant to degradation by ruminal microorganisms (US20140335230A1)
- Mineral composition made from a mixed solid phase of calcium and magnesium carbonates, method of preparing same and use thereof (US10351775B2)
- Mineral compositon based on a mixed solid phase of calcium and magnesium carbonates and process for preparing such a composition (US20190359524A1)
- Process for obtaining size-calibrated tri-calcium aluminate particles and use of such particles in a process of alumina refininig (WO2020011952A1)
- Lime-based compositions, method for making them and their use in treating water and sludge (US8771633B2)
- Calcium/magnesium compound slurry for bituminous road material (US20170204268A1)